This guide should resolve Catalina from freezing when a hackintosh is waked from sleep when running off the Intel iGPU (integrated graphics). The mouse will freeze a couple seconds after being waked up and there may be a sudden restart with a kernel panic message saying there was a problem with Intel HDMI audio when you boot back in.
I noticed this kernel panic only happens when these conditions exist:
- Using AppleALC.kext with Clover (AppleALC is no longer being tested on Clover as the developer moved his support to OpenCore causing this issue)
- Only happens when Intel graphics is enabled.
- When the display monitor doesn’t have an HDMI audio output (This kernel panic happened to me on a monitor that didn’t have speakers, but when I plug in my other monitor that did have HDMI audio with built in speakers the kernel panic goes away)
To get around this issue we disable HDMI audio with a HDEF patch. If you are using the EFI files in the main Catalina guide this patch has already been included.
- Download gfxutil
- Open downloaded folder and Right-click open gfxutil
- A list will populate find PCI0.HDEF and copy its PciRoot device path
- Open config.plist located in your EFI folder with Clover Configurator
- Select Devices column in Clover Configurator
- Select the drop down menu and select No or type it in the box is in the top right corner of the Devices page
- Select the Properties tab near the bottom of the Devices page
- Click the “+” sign under the Devices* table
- Paste the device path you copied from gfxutil
- Select the Device path thats been added to the table and add:
- Click the “+” sign under the Properties table to the right
Properties Key* Properties Value Value Type No-hda-gfx AAAAAAAA AA DATA alc-layout-id 1 NUMBER
- Restart to apply changes and see if sleep works after.
I’m my testing this issue only happens when using AppleALC on a monitor without speakers over integrated graphics. Other ways to circumvent this issue would be:
- Switching your EFI to OpenCore or by using a different audio solution than AppleALC.kext.
- Switching to a monitor with speakers built in so the panic doesn’t occur.