Telegram has a feature that allows group calls. However, to make a group call on Telegram may not be as obvious as in other messaging apps. Here you find out how to make group calls using the messenger on Android and iOS.
Telegram has been supporting voice calls for a long time now. The feature was released on June 2021 and allowed Telegram users to host and join video calls of up to 30 people. Up to 1,000 people can join those video calls as spectators, allowing you to host large events.
NextPit took a look at this Telegram feature for you and demonstrates how to make video calls on Android smartphones and iPhones. First, you need to create a group and a group voice chat in order to finally set up the group video call.
Setting up a group call on Telegram is fairly easy, first, you will need to have a group where you have administrator privileges. If you are already in a group you can skip to step 2.
- To create a new Telegram group tap on the top left menu button > New group.
- Inside the group, tap on the group banner to see the details, then tap the menu button in the top right.
- Select Star Video Chat.
- Tap on the camera button on the bottom left.
With an iPhone things work a little differently. Still, to set up a group call you will have to be an admin in the group. Here is how you can create a new group:
- Click on the icon for a new entry in the top right corner.
- Click on New group.
- Select the members of your choice and click on Next.
- Enter a group name, select a picture, and click on the “create” button. Then you are also in the group menu. Of course, you can also select a group of which you are the admin.
After you have made your group, you can start the call by following these steps:
- Click on the group symbol in the upper right corner of the display.
- By clicking on the left button called Video Chat, a drop-down menu will offer the option “Start Video Chat”. As soon as the call is active, you can click on Camera in the bottom left corner and the video call will start.
Group video calls on Telegram: What are the features?
In terms of features, there is the same scope as any other video calling app. Clicking on a participant’s window brings them to the front. Pinning is also possible, so the participant always stays pinned – even when new participants join the call.
Group voice chats on Telegram have no limit on participants, but video calls are currently limited to 30 callers. Telegram has also implemented a screen sharing feature, as well as one to mute ambient noise.